Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sunday morning's Super Moon in the early dawn

The full moon of May 5/May6 was the closest to the earth it will be in 2012. This is called perigee, a once a year cosmic event. I arose before the dawn on Sunday to take a few photos of the Supermoon. I was hoping to get a photo of it sinking into the horizon but there were clouds that obscured that view. But what I saw was lovely nonetheless.

 A view of the Supermoon through Bishop Pines Trees off of front deck
The weather has turned warm on the beautiful Mendonoma Coast. As I sat outside on our deck in Anchor Bay, watching the moon set, I heard the first calls of a Swainson's Thrush. The beauty of its seemingly ever-ascending trills was in counterpoint to the murmurings of the Pacific Ocean. The occasional bark of a Sea Lion from Fish Rocks added to the moment. I was happy the Supermoon got me out of bed and into the softness of the dawn.

No comments: