Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

A new mushroom appeared - Rosy Gomphidius

The Mendocino Coast has had so much rain recently that most wild mushrooms have given up. So imagine my surprise when I saw a group of rosy colored mushrooms under a tan oak, which was surrounded by Douglas Firs. I picked one and oh, was it ever slimy! The lower part of the stem was yellow. I did a spore print and it turned out dark gray. With the help of my mushroom friend, Bev, it was determined the mushrooms were Rosy Gomphidius.

With warm weather forecast I'm so hoping for another bloom of Horn of Plenty and Hedgehogs.

2 comments:

Bev said...

According to Arora, they're edible. Not that you'd WANT to! But if you did, peel off the slimy skin before cooking. I think I remember trying them once. Not impressed.

Jeanne Jackson said...

Noooo, I don't think I'd want to eat these. Arora didn't exactly give them a rave review, did he?! I noticed a critter has eaten half of one of the biggest mushrooms so something finds it tasty. I think I'll just let the creatures of the forest nibble on these mushrooms.